Cuban Roast Pork Recipes
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns crushed
- 6 medium garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder trimmed and tied.
- Set a small heavy skillet over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Add the cumin seeds and crushed peppercorns and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the toasted spices, garlic, salt and oregano to make a coarse paste. Transfer the spices to a small bowl and stir in the orange juice, sherry, lemon juice, lime juice and olive oil until thoroughly incorporated.
- Place the pork in a gallon size plastic bag, add the marinade and turn to coat all over. Seal the bag. Refrigerate the pork overnight, turning it occasionally in the bag.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer the pork and its marinade to a medium nonreactive roasting pan, place on a rack and roast for about 2 1/2 hours, basting occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center reads 155 degrees F. (After about 2 hours if the liquid has dried up, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan.)
- Transfer the pork to a carving board, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Un-tie the roast and discard the string.
- Serve sliced and covered with Mojo Sauce.