Creole Style Liver & Onions
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Ground white pepper
- juice of one orange
- 4 slices of bacon cooked crisp and roughly crumbled
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 cup flour for liver and slurry divided
- 1 1/4 pounds calves liver
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomatoes stewed
- 1 1/2 cups onions sliced & cut in half
- 1 green bell pepper julienned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika smoked
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine the vinegar, cumin, two or three turns of white pepper and juice of one orange in a plastic bag and place the liver in and shake. Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, remove and discard the marinade and dry the liver thoroughly.
- In a skillet, fry the bacon till crisp, drain on paper towels and reserve the bacon grease.
- Roll the liver in the flour and shake off excess and over medium high heat, add the liver in the same pan with the reserved bacon grease. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side and take out of pan and keep warm
- Add the two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the tomatoes, onions and green bell peppers and saute five minutes or untill onions are almost carmelized. Add the salt, paprika and the mustard and mix in thoroughly.
- Mix a slurry with the 1/2 cup of water and the 1/2 cup flour. Add the slurry and mix everything together, cooking for another 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Add the liver and cook till liver is well heated.
- Serve on a bed of rice or mashed potatoes with the sauce poured over the liver and the roughly chopped bacon sprinkled on top.