Choux Puffs with Cheese Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter use only butter, cut up
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 of an 8-ounce container cream cheese with chive and onion
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese chevre
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or basil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheet; set aside.
- For pastry, bring the water, the 1/4 cup milk, butter, salt and nutmeg to boiling in a large saucepan, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat; stir in flour completely. Add 2 of the eggs, 1 at a time, stirring vigorously until a stiff batter is formed; spoon batter into a pasty bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip.
- Pipe twenty-four 1-inch puffs (or, spoon batter with a rounded measuring teaspoon) 1-inch apart onto the baking sheet. Lightly beat remaining egg; brush over tops. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. Slice puffs in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
- For filling, beat cream cheese, goat cheese and the 2 tablespoons milk in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add parsley, dill or basil, and pepper; mix well. Pipe filling with a pastry bag or spread a rounded teaspoon of the mixture into the bottom half of each puff. Replace tops. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 2 hours.