Chinese Spare Ribs Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 6 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 slab of spare ribs cut in half lengthwise
- Non-stick cooking spray
Glaze For Ribs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shoyu soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons chili paste sambal oelek, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the glaze ingredients together till well blended and set aside till later.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together water. garlic, onion, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, Chinese five-spice, salt and vinegar in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. Place ribs in broth, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the ribs from the broth and drain; toss with the reserved glaze to well coat all the ribs.
- Reserve the excess glaze for brushing on ribs.
- Transfer the glazed ribs to the prepared baking sheet. Bake ribs for about 15 minutes. Turn the ribs and brush with more glaze. Cook for 15 more minutes.
- Slice ribs individually and serve.