Chicken Marengo Recipe
- 1 Chicken cut up into 8 pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14 1/2-oz.
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cognac optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat, making sure the oil and butter are very hot, gradually add the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken on all sides and remove from the skillet.
- When all the chicken has been browned, add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for five minutes. Add the white wine and scrape any bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the skillet. Add the tomatoes, bouillon cube and dried thyme, cook for about 5 minutes then add the browned chicken pieces. Cover the skillet and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 15 minutes or until the juice from the chicken pieces run clear when pierced with a fork. Stir in the cognac 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Stir in the chopped parsley or basil, which ever your using, just before serving.