- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breast
- 1 onion, small cut into large pieces
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turkish oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed crushed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14-oz.
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8-oz.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Wash chicken and pat dry.Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When hot, add chicken breasts. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until nicely browned. Remove to a plate and reserve.
- Keeping the pan good and hot, add the remaining 1-2 tablespoons oil as needed, quickly saute the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, cooking only till partially cooked.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spices; salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, fennel seed water and diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 9 x 13 glass roasting pan.
- Add the vegetables to the pan. Place the reserved chicken over the vegetables. Pour the remaining tomato mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the pan and bake until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 30-40 minutes.