- 1/2 cup manteca pork lard or corn oil
- 24 4"-diameter tortillas
- 1 cup salsa verde homemade or canned
- 1 cup salsa roja homemade or canned
- 1 1/2 cups beef, pork or chicken cooked, shredded beef, pork or chicken
- 1 1/2 cups queso fresco or mild feta cheese
- 1 medium white onion peeled and finely chopped
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil or lard until a few drops of water sprinkled into the pan bounce and sizzle.
- Place tortillas, as many as will fit, into the pan and soft-fry them, just 3-4 seconds on each side. They should remain pliable and not crispy. Add more lard as necessary.
- Drain them well on paper towels as they are removed from the pan.
- Spoon salsa verde, about 1 tablespoon per chalupa, over half of them, and salsa roja over the other half. Top each with a bit of shredded meat, crumbled cheese and onion.
- Serve immediately.