Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 6 Sweet potatoes large
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg ground
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into slices.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet and add the sliced sweet potatoes.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cover the sweet potatoes with sugar mixture and stir.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour or until potatoes are "candied". They should be tender but a little hard around the edges. Also the sauce will turn dark. You will need to stir occasionally during the cooking. Stir in the vanilla just before serving. Serve hot.