Buttery Pound Cake Recipe
- 8 ounces butter, unsalted plus for buttering pan
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour plus for dusting
- For the Citrus Glaze
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Set out all of the ingredients and bring to room temperature, about 2 hours.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and butter a (9" x 5")loaf pan.Dust the pan with cake flower.
- Put the 8-ounces of butter into the bowl of a standing mixer and beat it with the paddle attachment at medium speed for a minute. Add the sugar and salt and beat on medium-high until the butter becomes very pale and has increased in volume by about one-third.
- Add the 4 eggs, plus a yolk, slowly, one at a time, so that they are gradually beaten into the batter.
- Add a tablespoon each of the lemon and lime juices, all the zest from the fruits and the vanilla.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium-low and add the flour. Mix only long enough to incorporate the flour.
- Pour the batter into your buttered and dusted baking pan and bake for 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 210 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer. Remove the loaf pan from the oven onto a rack and let it rest for 10 minutes or so; turn the cake out of the pan and onto the rack for another 10 minutes. Store the cake on the rack covered with a tea towel for up to 3 days.
- For the Glaze, combine the citrus juices and sugar in a pan over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Taste to check the sweet-sour balance and adjust as necessary. Brush the pound cake on all sides with the glaze.