Burger or Hot Dog Buns
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package instant yeast .25 ounce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover and let rise for 30-35 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- For Hot Dog Buns: Shape each piece into a 6 X 4-inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly and pinch edges and ends to seal. Let rise about 20-25 minutes. Bake as above. These buns are pretty big. I usually make 16 instead of 12. This recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.