Bud’s Santa Ana Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Lard or Crisco
- 1 green bell pepper medium chop
- 1 onion medium chop
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano dried
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 1 can of beer or more
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes with juice
- 2 cans Ortega diced green chiles, 4-oz. each
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, saute the bell peppers, onion and garlic till limp.
- Add the ground beef and pork, cook till done. Add the Cayenne, oregano, cumin, paprika, crushed tomatoes, green chiles and beer, and cook, stirring often, until everything is well combined.
- Simmer entire mixture for about 1 hour covered, remove lid and simmer at least 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.