Bud’s Flaky Pie Crusts Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco shortning
- 6 tablespoons ice water or just enough to bring it all together.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Some of the fat should remain in pea size pieces, the rest should be reduced to the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle in the ice water a tablespoon at a time, cutting in until the mixture looks evenly moistened and the mixture holds together when you squeeze a handful.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 balls, press each ball into a flat disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap; chill for at least 30 minutes or for several hours or freeze up to 6-months.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll doughs to about 1/8-in. thickness. Roll dough out to a 12-inch circle for a 9-inch pie or an 11-inch circle for an 8-inch pie. Fold pastry in half. Place in pie plate with fold at center. Unfold pastry. Ease into plate loosely without stretching. Fit pastry into plate by pressing lightly with knuckle of index finger. Hold outer edge with other hand but do not stretch. Fold under excess pastry, even with edge of pie plate. Pinch with fingers to form a standing collar all around rim. Flute edge as desired. Repeat procedure with other round of dough.
- Spoon or pour in filling and bake according to time and temperature requirements of filling recipe.