Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin or sirloin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons of butter divided
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups white mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- Chopped parsley
- Cooked egg noodles
- Cut 2 pounds of tender beef into narrow strips 1/2" thick and 2" long, season generously with salt and pepper and let stand in a cool place or in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Make a roux by blending 3 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoon flour over low heat until the mixture bubbles and is smooth. Gradually stir in 2 cups beef broth and cook the mixture until it begins to thicken. Boil it for 2 minutes and stir in 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard and 1 cup of sour cream, stirring constantly. Simmer very gently, without boiling.
- In a separate pan, brown the pieces of meat in 3 tablespoons butter, add the 3 cups of mushrooms and the 1 onion, both thinly sliced. Add the meat, mushrooms and onion to the sour cream sauce. Check the dish for seasoning and if necessary adjust.
- Cover the saucepan and put it over hot water for 20 minutes. Serve the Stroganoff over hot noodles with a sprinkling of chopped parsley