Beef Bourguignonne Recipe
- 1 - 2- pound chuck pot roast trimmed and cut into 2" cubes
- For the Marinade:
- 1 bottle 750 mlred wine
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 bay leaves
For the Beef
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 strips thick-sliced bacon diced
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 beef knuckle soup bone
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup brandy optional
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 8 oz. white mushrooms halved
- 8 oz. pearl onions peeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine wine, vegetables, garlic, and bay leaves, in a large bowl. Place meat in a strainer and submerge in the marinade. Marinate 4-hours, preferably overnight in the refrigerator. Stir meat once or twice while marinating.
- Remove meat from marinade; pat dry. Drain vegetables from marinade, reserving both. Combine flour and seasonings in a large plastic bag. Dredge beef in flour mixture.
- Saute bacon in a large Dutch oven over med.-high heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Brown beef in batches in bacon fat left in pan - do not crowd the pan or the meat will not brown well. Remove browned beef before adding more. If the pan becomes dry, add a little olive oil. Remove last batch of meat before continuing. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sweat the reserved vegetables, soup bone and tomato paste in pan, stirring to loosen the browned bits from the bottom. Cook until vegetables soften, 5 minutes. Add brandy; cook until evaporated. Tie thyme and peppercorns in a paper coffee filter; secure with cotton kitchen string. Add herb bundle, reserved marinade, bacon, and beef. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, transfer to oven and braise for 1 hour.
- Stir in mushrooms, onions and vinegar. Return to oven and cook, covered, until meat is tender, 30-40 minutes. Remove herb bundle and soup bone. Finish with parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.