Baking Powder Biscuits
- 3 cups All purpose flour – * see note
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1 1/8 cups whole milk – *see note cold
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. with rack in upper portion of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Work the butter into the flour mixture using your fingers, a fork or pastry blender….you want an evenly crumbly mixture like breadcrumbs.
- Mixing quickly and gently, drizzle in milk until you have made a cohesive dough. If the mixture seems dry and won't come together, don't keep working it, drizzle in enough milk – up to an additional 2 tablespoons to make it cohesive.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Pat it into a rough rectangle about 3/4" thick. Fold it into thirds like a letter and roll gently with a floured rolling pin until the dough is 3/4" thick again.
- Cut the dough into circles with a 2 3/8" biscuit cutter or cut the dough into squares or diamonds with a bench knife or sharp knife.
- Place the biscuits bottom side up on your prepared baking sheet; turning them over like this yields biscuits with nice smooth tops. Brush the biscuits with milk, to enhance browning.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 to 20 minutes, until they're lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve warm.