Bacon-Cheddar-Chive Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter very cold
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/3 cup chives or scallion tops finely diced
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked, cooled and crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.Work the cold butter into the flour using your hands until the mixture is unevenly crumbly with some of the butter remaining in larger pieces.
- Mix in the cheese, chives and bacon until evenly distributed. Add 3/4 cup of the cream, stirring to combine.
- Try squeezing the dough together, if it's crumbly and won't stay together or if there are crumbs remaining in the bottom of the bowl, add cream until the dough comes together. Transfer the shaggy dough to a well-floured work surface.
- Knead then pat the dough into a smooth 7" disk about 3/4" thick. Transfer the disk to the prepared baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut the disk into 8 wedges, spreading the wedges apart a bit on the pan. Brush the scones with a bit of cream, this will help the crust brown.
- Bake the scones for 22 to 24 minutes, until they are golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool right on the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.